Saturday, December 20, 2008

Savannah's Night in the Hospital

Yesterday I was giving Savannah a bottle on the couch and I stood up and walked 2 steps away to grab something across the room. In that time Savannah reached for me and leaned over the edge of the couch and fell off right on top of a glass cup that was sitting on the floor next to the couch. It broke when she fell on it and cut the right side of her forehead pretty badly. She also got cut a little bit on her cheek bone and another pretty bad cut all along the back of her ear. David had just left so I called him and told him to come home right now because Savannah cut her head and is bleeding everywhere! (Needless to say he said okay.) We took her to the emergency room and a quick 5 hours later the facial surgeon came, and 50 stitches later she was all put back together again. The surgeon she will probably have a bad scar because the cut is right on top of her forehead muscle so it is under constant stress. I feel so bad. I hope her scar turns out better than they hope:( They kept her in the hospital overnight because it was midnight by the time they were all done. Here are some pictures of here this morning. She was her old happy self, even though she was such a sad little picture in her baby gown and monitor cords!

Photobucket

she looked like a little pirate with her big bandage!

Photobucket

she kept trying to eat all the cords and lights:)

Photobucket

I kept pulling her hand away from them and she's smiling because she thought it was a game i guess!

Photobucket

trying to escape...i thought that baby hospital gown was too cute, even though I wished it wasn't my baby wearing it!

Photobucket

as always, all Savannah wanted to do was walk!

Photobucket

poor baby
we were so glad she didn't get cut on her eye at all!

Photobucket

Savannah seems to be doing well. She could only have liquids all night and this morning. (They brought her chicken broth and a popsicle and apple juice and she gobbled up all those and when it was gone she just started yelling! The doctor finally said I could give her formula this morning so then she was happy and went right to sleep.) They gave me her tiny little anesthesia mask to keep - its hot pink:) Also, I did all the flowers for my friends wedding today (which I was planning to go to) but because the ER cut into my corsage-making time, my sisters came over at midnight and we made corsages till 4 in the morning when I went back to the hospital! So thanks to Emily and Anna...I know I was not a joy to work with at 2am! I hope Robin's wedding is amazing today! Savannah is sleeping right now so I am going to sleep to!

5 comments:

Matt and Debbie said...

Oh, Heidi!!! What a whirlwind the last 12 hours have been for you guys!! It's no fun having a kid in the hospital. And 50, repeat 50, stitches! Holy cow. That must have been a lot of blood. What a little trooper you have, and she's still so darling in each photo! So, have you bought plastic cups yet? j/k Accidents happen, right? Jacob was asleep in bed with me one night, with my arm around him and all, and he rolled right off the bed and split the skin on the bridge of his nose on the nightstand. The doc said no stitches, though, so I have no idea how you feel!

Ammon and Tasha said...

Oh how sad poor baby!! I guess we wanted one more person to add to the list of family members in the hospital this year! geez i tell you - what a year! I am glad to hear that she is doing better! please let me know if you need anything!IMEAN IT!!! isnt it the saddest to see your kid in the hospital all hooked up to cords and machines - it just breaks your heart! but they do look adorable in their little hospital gown! i cant believe that it was 50 stiches!!! that is insane! sorry that you missed robins wedding!

Crystal said...

Poor Savannah and poor Heidi! What a scary experience. I'm glad it wasn't any worse, though. These crazy kids.

Becky's Place said...

I feel so bad for all of you. I always put vitamin e oil on scars to help them heal w/o scaring.

Beck said...

Random fact before I comment...I always check blogs at night when Im nursing. haha!

So last night probably around 4am I woke Isaac up to tell him about Savannah I was so worried about her. That is so scary. But leave it to her to look amazing in her hospital gown. She is SO freakin adoreable!